Chris, Doer of Things (ctuck) wrote in work_stories_it,
Chris, Doer of Things
ctuck
work_stories_it

  • Mood:

Bothersome Email Issue: Resolved

Our server started having a unique email issue. Emails, sent to specific domains were getting delayed in the SMTP delivery queue on our local Exchange Server. I couldn't figure out why. I started the logging service and watched traffic. I reviewed the options and settings for the Exchange server, users, and IIS, nothing out of the ordinary. I read help files to get the specifics of options I was unfamiliar with. I contact the domains of the recipients and got them to log or share their logs with me to see if messages were connecting to their servers. I reviewed all the error codes like such:
Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: FW: Yep!
Sent: 5/6/2005 10:21 AM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'****@****.com' on 5/6/2005 7:23 PM
You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator.
thebrain.corp.******.com #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for ****@****.com
I read corresponding tech info on Microsoft.com over and over again, nothing I did effected the issue, let alone resolved it. It was just frustrating.

So today, unlike other days, I got an alert on the server from Symantec Anti-Virus. It basically stated that the message could not be sent becuase of reason #blah blah blah, click here for more information. [EDIT: I found the link in my history http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2004061009504348?Open&src=_mi&docid=2002071214123606&nsf=sharedtech.nsf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl= ] I clicked and read the Symantec article... it outlined how users often get this message when an email does not have permission yada yada and it had a section on servers. I read how there is a add-on for servers for Internet Email Auto-protect. I could feel the warmth from the light above my head. I went into the SAV installer and modified the installation. I removed the Add-on. Upon enabling all connections, every delayed queue checked green. Oh yes! I switched back over to my terminal and sent test emails to the domains in question. Return Receipts came back within minutes. Oh joy!

Until I saw that alert, which had never sprung up before, I had no way to determine that the problem was outside of the Exchange. I hate conflicting problems like this. SAV did not report any virus' or problems, so I have no idea why it restricted the delivery of those messages. At this point, I'm not looking into it any further. Problem solved, notes taken.
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic
  • 2 comments